Forum
Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Questions about carrier landings

Last post 08-01-2011, 12:48 AM by bauer5152. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-02-2011, 5:58 PM 10183

Questions about carrier landings

I'm just wondering about communication between control tower / LSO / pilot on a carrier approach landing.  I have no idea of this process and just looking to gain some insight.  I'm playing a flight sim type game and when lining up on glideslope for a carrier landing the CV Marshall says "Mother is case 1, expect CV-1 approach."  I think I have a basic idea of how glideslope / meatball works but not totally sure.  I'm wondering what this lingo means.

The pilot eventually responds something like "One zero seven, approach final bearing 174, flying two niner zero"  (approximately)  I would like to know the details behind what instruments they are reading and relaying to the people on deck.  I think I've heard that they give final bearing  (direction I guess) and then how much fuel and then they 'call the ball' signaling they see the meatball and are on course.  What is an example of what a pilot would say when coming in for landing and what it means?  thanks in advance
  •  03-03-2011, 2:44 PM 10186 in reply to 10183

Re: Questions about carrier landings

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.  Should have posted under military aviation.  I don't see a way to delete a post so guess I'll just have to re-post it.
  •  08-01-2011, 12:48 AM 10573 in reply to 10183

Re: Questions about carrier landings

robmil5220:
    I'm just wondering about communication between control tower / LSO / pilot on a carrier approach landing.  I have no idea of this process and just looking to gain some insight.  I'm playing a flight sim type game and when lining up on glideslope for a carrier landing the CV Marshall says "Mother is case 1, expect CV-1 approach."  I think I have a basic idea of how glideslope / meatball works but not totally sure.  I'm wondering what this lingo means.

The pilot eventually responds something like "One zero seven, approach final bearing 174, flying two niner zero"  (approximately)  I would like to know the details behind what instruments they are reading and relaying to the people on deck.  I think I've heard that they give final bearing  (direction I guess) and then how much fuel and then they 'call the ball' signaling they see the meatball and are on course.  What is an example of what a pilot would say when coming in for landing and what it means?  thanks in advance

Thanks you for the post.
View as RSS news feed in XML